Daily news

Welcome to my Blog, hope you will enjoy it:)

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Singapore Story

I lived in New York City and I have been studying here since I was in Primary 3. I only have a vague idea of how Singapore looked like since I never went there again after settling here. However, I can still roughly remember the many faces of my friends. Since I am in Grade 8 now, I had learnt that Asian Cities like Manila, Jakarta are very dirty and the temperature is able break the whole thermometer. I was rather inclined to this idea of going back Singapore as I really don’t feel like getting caught in such a kind of place.
“Why not go Milan or Venice? The sites are wonderful! Do you know that there are gondolas? Can we not go Singapore?” I suggested to my parents the day before we were leaving. My parents stared at me and said, “Excuse me young man, you are a Singaporean and you go straight to your room right now!” “But…” I was interrupted by my parents, “No buts!” All of a sudden, I felt a tension growing inside me and I screamed with all my might, “NO! New York City is my home and the United States is gonna be my country, not old-fashioned Singapore!” I grabbed my woolen jacket and made a dash towards the door.
I soon found myself roaming around the bustling streets of NYC. It was snowing quite a bit but my little jacket is enough to keep me away from the piercing cold winds. Towering skyscrapers loomed above my head. LED panels displaying “CHRISTMAS IS HERE!GO CELEBRATE WHERE YOU BELONG!” were everywhere. People were jostling around and I felt lost in this festive mood. “Where do I belong? Maybe Singapore is much better than NYC!” I questioned myself. I was near The Times Square and saw some workers preparing the New Year’s Eve Ball. People were rushing in and out of the Metro Station exit. Suddenly, I found the chimes of the carol irritating and so I decided to make my way to McDonalds and buy a cup of hot tea. On my way home, I was sipping my tea while thinking about what would happen tomorrow. The snow was falling and falling, I held out my hand and a flake fell onto my hands. I rushed home, running through the throngs of crowds, trying my best to accept it. I AM GOING SINGAPORE TOMORROW!
After the boring 12 hours flight, I stepped out of the plane and was greeted by a gust of warm tropical heat. I thought I had just seen a mirage somewhere far. The sun was like a microwave oven and I was already sweating profusely after a few minutes. “Disgusting hot weather!”, I thought to myself, “I prefer NYC!” I muttered softly. “Move on,” mom whispered and nudged me. I moved on. Fortunately, we got our luggage pretty fast and hailed a cab to my aunt’s house. The cab driver talked to my dad in some weird English. I could only comprehend a part of it and the rest were just aberrant from the English that I had learnt. I also noticed this strange accent in his conversation with dad and I feel extremely excruciating listening to them. I started pestering my dad. I looked outside and was shocked to find lush greeneries everywhere. I was rather excited upon this sight. Having been living in NYC for quite some time, the moment I wake up everyday, I would find myself surrounded by mega skyscrapers. I had never seen such vibrant flowers and coconut trees before, as they were merely just pictures in my textbook. I glanced out and saw a huge signboard with the words: TO THE CITY. My parents were still chatting incessantly with the driver and I put on my earphones and picked a soft piece of music. I was so mesmerized by the scenery outside that I did not notice that my parents were already reclaiming the luggage. “Wait for me!” I dashed out of the taxi. I helped my parents with the luggage and my mom whipped out her mobile phone and called my aunt.
“We are back already! Wow, Singapore has changed so much! Yah, thanks, you can go open the door now!” my mom screamed excitedly. My aunt lives in a 3-storey bungalow and it was really cool! No one could live like that in NYC unless you are the president. Then I noticed someone opening the door. I scrutinized and saw a lady with sandals on.
“Mom, who is she?” I questioned.
“That is your aunt! Remember you etiquettes later!” mom rushed of towards aunt and left poor dad alone with the luggage. Aunt shrieked suddenly and them they embraced each other. It has been long since they met each other but I remember that my aunt should be rather young, not so old. “Oh, I missed you so much! Look how you have changed! You too, Jonathan” aunt said, rushing towards dad and helped him with the luggage. Suddenly, it seems like I have remembered something that I had long forgotten. That voice is so familiar with the same caring attitude. My heart was warmed up suddenly and I went forward and hugged my aunt.
“Tea is ready, quick, go in and leave the luggage to me!” she said cheerfully. I took a small glance at her and saw her carrying the luggage by herself. She was already sweating profusely when she got brought the biggest luggage in. Dad and mom suggested that they should carry it but aunt said sternly that it is so rare to see us and she doesn’t feel tired at all carrying the things and we should rest. My parents could do nothing but to agree. I ran out and helped aunt with those remaining luggage but she refused and ordered me to get back into the house. I obeyed and felt glad for having such a kind aunt. My parents and my aunt talked through the whole afternoon. It seems like they will go on forever, the enthusiastic look in eyes tells me that she is very interested about every thing that parent said. “Go and sleep on the sofa if you want we will go out for dinner!” Dad said to me while I watching the television.
I nodded and decided to go out for some air before taking the nap. It is when I discovered that the sky was overcast with gloomy clouds and I could hear the howl of the thunder. “Mom, Dad, Aunt quickly get into the shelter! The tornado is coming!” I screamed, dashing into the house and slamming all the doors and shutting the windows. Mum and dad seemed alarmed by what I was doing and was running around frantically trying to catch me. “The tornado is here! Where is the shelter?” I shrieked.
“Jonathan, there are no tornadoes in Singapore!” Mum said. I stopped running and looked at her.
“Are you sure, there were so many ominous clouds outside. Mrs Morris said that it is a warning sign for tornados!” I said, flinging my arms wildly.
“It is in the US only! Singapore has no tornado and the clouds are signs that it is going to rain!” Dad interrupted. I let out a sigh of relief and lied down on the sofa. Aunt was giggling quickly behind. I find the sofa uncomfortable but managed to fall asleep quickly.
Uncle was back when I woke up and we went to a place called Food Court to eat. I expected that we would be either going McDonalds, Burger King or KFC to eat, however I was wrong. There were an array of food sold there including some strange cuisines. The food court is bustling with people and I could smell the pleasant smell of food drifting through the air. We managed to find a seat near the Chicken Rice stall. I was made to seat there while uncle, aunt and my parents went to buy food. I took out my phone and started taking pictures of different people dining. Since I always have fast food in NYC(and there is nothing like this), I find it interesting.
“Jonathan, you definitely must try this,” uncle exclaimed as he carried a plate of chicken rice, placed it under my nose and added, “go on and eat it or you will regret it!” I thanked him and took a small spoonful of it. It tasted fabulous, much better than burgers and apple tarts. I took another spoonful with the chicken and found it even better with the fragrance of the rice rolling in my mouth.
Uncle exclaimed, “Seems that you are enjoying it! However it would be better if your cousins are here” , “You see, they are all overseas and every time they have the chance to come back Singapore, they always say that they missed the food here so much and everything in Singapore!” I was moved by what uncle had said and I felt embarrassed. All these years, I have been abroad in the U.S and I have completely forgotten about the country that nurtured me, who helps me secretly behind the limelight. Aunt and mum came back with some noodles while dad came back with a bowl of piping hot fish soup. I looked at everyone’s expression and I really do feel sorry for what I had said. The food here is the best in the world, so is the climate and the list goes on. I don’t want to go back NYC , this is where I belong and the place where I feel at home. I love you, Singapore!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chun Yi ,

    I think this new version of your story is good . However , I think that there are a bit of grammar mistakes . Example : "I AM going TO Singapore tomorrow" . Also , just a side note , it takes at least 18 hours to get from Singapore to New York . In the last paragraph , you mentioned that you were sorry for what you had said , but what did you say ? As I backtracked , the last thing I could see you say was about the tornado coming . This part is not clear . Also , how has living in New York created your identity as a Singaporean ? You may wish to include these in your next draft . Thank you for posting your story ! Well done , keep it up :)

    ~Lam Sze Tung :)~

    ReplyDelete