Daily news

Welcome to my Blog, hope you will enjoy it:)

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Story (Singapore Identity)

Singapore, a vibrant metropolis known for its booming economy, towering skyscrapers and lush greenery may also be famous for its staggering high population density. This can create a whole list of troubles and the one crowned first is the overcrowding on public transport.
During daily peak hours, buses and MRT are all pack with commuters from all walks of life. Men in suits, women with high-heels on, children with bulgy school bags and frail elderly are all trying to cram into the bus even when it is filled to the brim. They will just squeeze and push into the bus no matter how full it is. They simply do not have time to wait patiently for the next bus! This is very in such a modernized country like Singapore. Another factor contributing to this may be the lure of the comfortable seats. People would always rush forward when the bus is approaching. Everyone wants to have a seat and rest. Most of the time, the elderly or the disabled normally do not get their share of seats simply because their actions are slower compared to all the other people rushing forward.
The moment they board the bus, the drama class commences. People reading books will be more absorbed than before, some who were not sleeping would fall into deep slumber and would wake up immediately when the bus arrives at their stop. However, these are not the worst case scenarios, as some may even snatch the seat which the elderly, the disabled, are preparing to sit down on. Then they deliberately put on their stylish earphones and blast music through their ears. However, there is one incident worth mentioning and I felt immensely proud of being a Singaporean after that!
It was an unusually hot January afternoon and I am on my way home on the bus. The air-conditioners seemed faulty as drops of perspiration dripped down my forehead. I was wiping away the sweat every few minutes. I was completely soaked as the fabric glued onto my wet skin. As there were no seats, I sighed and made myself ready to stand for the next 45 minutes. I was getting rather drowsy by the rhythmic rocking of the bus. Then all of a sudden, the bus came to a sudden halt. I was jolted back. The doors opened and a group of elderly and handicapped boarded the bus. They took some time as the walked in slowly. The driver also waited patiently for them to hold on to the rails before starting off. “The drama class will be starting” I thought to myself.
Yes, indeed. Some people were already falling asleep while minutes ago they were playing games on their phones. However, I noticed one small boy was starting to pack his things beside where he was sitting. I looked curiously at him as the bus will not be stopping for the next 10 minutes since it will be on the expressway. I walked towards him, squeezing through some people and strike the conversation with him.
“Hello, little boy do you know that the bus will not be stopping for the next 10 minutes?” I asked kindly.
“Yes, I know” he replied.
“But why are you packing all your things? You should sit down! Your stuff looks heavy,” I answered, looking at him.
“Thank you for reminding me but I am giving up my seat to that old lady over there, near the door!” he chirped, “She needs it more than me! I can just bear for it for just a while!” He stood up with the load and signaled that old lady to have a seat. I was shocked by his reply and I walked away embarrassed. That old lady thanked the boy profusely and was smiling to him and praising him before she sat down.
At that moment, some people began to “wake” up from their sleep. Many started tidying up their things briskly and stood up. They went towards each of the elderly and disabled and told them that they could sit down at their seat. The elderly and the disabled seemed shocked but later smiled and thanked them for their offer. I could not believe what I had seen. There were still many empty seats on the bus after they had settled down but no one sat on it. Everyone was standing. The driver also seemed shocked as he kept glancing behind. Then 10 minutes ride continued in this manner and though it was quite uncomfortable, I knew everyone was happy for what they had done. A fashionable lady ushered the boy to sit down, but he said that he must not seat as someone in need would board the bus later. I was deeply moved.
If anyone would to say that Singaporeans are greedy and selfish, I think you are making a big mistake. The reason why most Singaporeans do not give up their seat is because there is no one giving up their seat. Day by day, this feeling slowly builds up and no one bother giving up their seat. I was really proud that Singaporeans are so gracious. As the saying goes: “Do not judge a book by its cover”, as there is more than meets the eye. Underneath Singaporeans seemingly cold heart, there is a warm red heart waiting to be discovered and dug out.

7 comments:

  1. Chun Yi, Your story seems to be depicting a general scene of everyday life and i am almost transported back to the mrt station as you descibed th whole 'drama class really well, well done!it would be better if you could add in more about yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for spending time visiting my blog. I really appreciate it! I will also take your comment into account and try to improve on my story.

    Thank You,
    Chun Yi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (sorry wrote wrongly lol.) wow. the description of this story incredibly vivid. i like the conclusion. like what yuxiang said, however, i believe you might want to write less about the normal scene in singapore and more about yourself and your personal experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are a really good observer as your description of the how Singaporeans behave are really good. However I personally feel that the description took up almost half of the story thus I think you should add more storyline into it. Overall it is a really good story and I also liked your conclusion, "Underneath Singaporeans seemingly cold heart, there is a warm red heart waiting to be discovered and dug out."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chun Yi ,

    I think this story is really great . Your introduction gives us a clue to what is happening or at least what is about to happen . You mentioned "overcrowding of public transport" , this somewhat gives your readers a clue of what is about to happen . Your descriptions are really signs that you have planned your story before putting it down . Your observation of the humans and comparing that to that of a drama class is really great as many people would just pretend to sleep ( something they would do also in drama class )

    Likewise , your final comment really brings out and shows your identity as a Singaporean . To quote : "I was really proud that Singaporeans are so gracious." You have also mentioned your feelings and thoughts throughout the story which is great ! Keep it up (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You for everyone's comments, your praise is the fuel for me to strive for the better

    ReplyDelete