Daily news

Welcome to my Blog, hope you will enjoy it:)

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Story


Fictional Story On My Personality:
I was lost in the woods. It was in the coldest months of the year with snow covering the once lush undergrowth. The towering trees were bald as if they had grown old and weak in this harsh winter. The flowers which ware once in full bloom in the summer had disappeared, leaving only a trail of animal footprints.
I was desperately lost. A gust of wind carrying pieces of snowflakes blew across my face and it was sharp. I was only going out for a walk, away from all my relatives, who had came to my grandpa’s funeral. I only wanted to calm myself down. I just cannot understand why grandpa had to leave me. Grandpa had taken care of me since my parents both divorced. We had been so close, just like butterflies which could never leave a petal of flower. I was the butterfly. My grandfather, the flower, had provided me with everything, food, home, warmth and anything a broken winged butterfly would need to survive.
I was now sitting on a stone, clueless on what to do next. I was in a struggle between waiting here for help or to search for help on my own. The snow stopped falling and I decided to just stay where I am and wait for help to arrive. ”They will discover I am lost and come and look for me!” I reassured myself. However, things always do not turn out to be as perfect as a bed of roses- dark was approaching. The temperature began to drop slowly but surely. The sky darkened as the minutes passed. It was when that I discovered that I was in grave danger not only from the freezing cold but also from the dangerous wild animals living in the forest. Grandpa had once told me how hunters who got lost in the woods were never to be seen again. I was skeptical about it at first but gradually I knew I had to face the truth, not because of the wild animals but from the fatal cold.
I got into action quickly. I desperately needed a fire. I seized the opportunity to get as much wood as possible quickly before the sun drops below the horizon. I managed to find some bit of dry wood lying on some stones others however were damp. I knew that there was no way I could start a fire with damp wood so I could only start a fire with the dry wood that I have with me and dry the remaining woods with it.
I took out the two sticks of wood and rubbed them vigorously against each other. A small spark appeared but diminished as a gentle breeze blew by. I tried again. My palms were cold and bare but I am not going to give up until the fire is being started. I began to feel that the wood was warming out then there was a billow of light smoke and then a small but steady flame was ignited. I cupped my hands around it to make sure that no wind could extinguish it. It was so warm and lovely with a small little flame dancing right there. The feeling was indescribable.
The flame grew steady a couple of minutes later. I dried the remaining damp wood with the fire. It burned with such brightness and warmth and gave me confidence that I would get out of this forest very soon. I was hungry and thirsty but luckily I had my water bottle with me. I drank half of it and left half for tomorrow. Slowly, I could feel my eyelids turning heavy and soon I could not resist the temptation but to sleep. It was so quiet and not even the rustling of the trees could be heard. It was as though I was deaf.
I slept peacefully till the next morning. The fire had already burned itself through the wood. The snow had melted and the temperature had risen by a couple of degrees. I decided to continue walking. I was still trying to reel away from the death of my grandpa when I saw a pack of wolves a couple of metres away. I did not see them!
I was frozen solid as the wolves snarled at me, revealing its sharp canines. I held my breath and steadily retreated a few steps.
Suddenly, one of them inched forward slowly…
Sweat trickled down my face…
I turned back and dashed as quickly as I could. I could feel the wolves chasing behind me as if they had found a prey. I spotted a bald tree and started climbing it. The wolves were scowling as they tried to climb up. My heart was palpitating wildly as I dared not even make a single movement lest I drop down from the tree. After what seemed like eternities, I could no longer hear the scowling anymore. The wolves were gone.
I climbed further up the tree and saw smoke far away. As the visibility was not really excellent, I could only try and figure out the direction of the smoke. Snow was setting itself back again. I got down the tree and continued walking. The sun had now disappeared and was covered by a cloud of mist. I took a small drink from the bottle and quickened my steps. I was starving and I hope that there will be someone there where the smoke was. The sky was slowly darkening and I could feel my stomach grumble in utmost despair. I could faintly see a light and a house. I ran towards it. There it was, a 4 –storey high old, red clay bungalow. I saw a lady with a child and asked them if I could stay here. They looked at me from head to toe, then nodded and the lady replied, “Make yourself feel at home!” She leaded me into the house and beaconed the child, who was still playing in the snow, to come into the house. The lady passed me a cup of hot tea and sat beside me. “Oh dear, you looked terribly frozen up! What happened?” I told her everything. She looked shocked when I finished my story.“ Do you know you have walked for over 100 kilometres?” she replied. “Don’t worry, I will drive you back tomorrow, it will take about an hour or so!” she added suddenly.
Later that night, we had a simple dinner, the 3 of us. It was extremely simple and I was still a bit hungry after that. The lady was thin and so is the child. I knew that they were poor and never mentioned a word about it. Then we went bed. It was only 8 in the evening but I was tired anyone and fell asleep rather quickly.
The next morning, I was awakened by a gentle tap on my shoulders. It was that lady. “Breakfast is ready and you do want to go home, am I right?” I walked down the stairs, half conscious. On the unbalanced wooden table, there was a cup of tea and a half an egg. I finished them in a matter of seconds. “I think we should go now” she said. I was mesmerized by the scene outside. The branches on the tree were frozen with ice. The ground was slippery. The tress glistened like diamonds as the ice reflected the sun rays. “Come on, we do not have all day!’ she said, pushing me into a truck along with the kid.
The drive along the road was pleasant. The whole mountain was glistening so brilliantly. Time ticked by. I was excited as every passing minute signify that I am a step nearer to get back home. An hour or so later, I finally saw my little cottage. There ware a lot of people crowding around my house. Everyone had a worried look on their faces. The car finally came to a halt and I screamed, “I am back”. Everyone turned at looked at my direction. My aunt came had hugged me so tightly as tears brimmed from her eyes, “I thought you will be lost forever, I was so worried. Your grandfather…” I could no more comprehend what she was trying to say from her uncontrollable sobs. I comforted my aunt a bit and walked toward the thin lady. I looked at her and then thanked her for she had done for me. She then left with the little boy at the backseat in the little, old truck. “Come dear, you must look at your grandpa one last time!” aunt said. I walked into our garden and saw him lying in the coffin, ready to be buried. He was so peaceful, so perfect. I bent forward and gave him a kiss on his cold forehead. I was no longer sad but glad that grandpa can finally rest forever.
Before closing the coffin lid, I looked at him for the one last time and ran away. I could hear the scraping of mud and dirt. Through this experience, I had learnt to overcome and difficulties that faced as avoiding them would cause catastrophic results. I also learnt to walk out of depressions. Just like myself in real life, after meeting much challenges, I would learn to overcome them.

Death of grandpa represents depressions
Lost in forest, bitter cold, wolves, lack of food represents challenges
Not giving up on starting fire represents trying my own best
Thin lady represent luck
Burying of grandpa represents burying the depressions
Running away from burying ceremony represents starting everything afresh

2 comments:

  1. After reading the draft of your story,I feel that there are not enough connections established well within the story. Firstly and most importantly you did not mention how this incident helped mould any one of your personalities today. You stated that you merely just learnt a moral. Above all, there are also some ridicule aroused by your story. It is not really practical to say that you met a wolf during your grandfather's birthday. Also do try to fit in with the context here, so that you can write your story better.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story Chunyi, here are a lot of emotions within the essay and i also felt the strong sense of never say die attitude and resilence in this story, However, i feel that this story can be better and you can probably add in some details or information about Singapore as this story is encouraged to be about Singapore or Indentity. Anyway, Thumbs up ChunYi!!!

    ReplyDelete